The Reality of Virtual Teams
Facilitated Online Experiences
Efficient teams need clear direction and alignment. This need is even stronger for distributed (virtual) and diverse teams, which have become the norm. Yet the skills required to lead these complex teams are not the same as those required for leading face to face. The leader must take on the additional role of managing unique team challenges complexities. Developing mutual goals and implementing these independently is hard work, so early wins are paramount.
Research on Antarctic teams in Isolated and Confined Environments (ICE) provides a wealth of information about the challenges of achieving success in these contexts. In this program we draw on decades of research from ICE teams and apply it to contemporary teams using an authentic Antarctic theme. This provides a memorable and engaging experience with clear actionable outcomes. This session includes 2 interactive gamified simulations to recreate the dynamics of a complex teams and then uses this experience to debrief in a safe environment and facilitate action planning outcomes..
The research conducted on complex distributed teams over the last 20+ years shows that :
- 50% of these teams fail to meet their objectives
- There is little or no loyalty to the team and is limited trust between team members
- Well managed virtual and diverse teams can access precious skills and expertise and are more flexible (in terms of resourcing and support.)
This session is based on the ON THIN ICE program suite & research.
This online interactive online virtual session recreates the issues of complex teams in a safe space, and then provides for a facilitator to walk the team through the issues that emerge. The session provides a targeted discussion focused on designing more effective team strategies. It provides experiential learning, online games, and covers key areas from issues as simple as improving on communication such as conference calls, through to deep dive mapping sociographs for more effective communication, and provides practical solutions such as creating a customised code of conduct and ensuring everyone is involved in the process.
This session will address and provide solutions for 3 main areas ALIGNMENT, COMMUNICATION, RELATIONSHIPS, including how to:
- Improve team dynamics in a complex environment
- Redesign what was ‘the Office' to become an effective online version that takes advantage of new mediums
- Effectively communicate, and what media to use
- Recognise and manage the tension of a complex team to learn how to prioritise what's important (and how to choose)
- Build relationships and a code of conduct
- Discover what new skills leaders will need to develop
Both the Face to Face and Digital Virtual Online sessions, use a wide range of tools to ensure the best possible learning is learnt and captured by all participants.
BLENDED LEARNING INTEGRATED PLATFORM:
To ensure the best use of time is achieved we have flipped the classroom. The optional independent self-pace online sessions we have designed, blend any workshops (face to face or digital) to ensure participants can upskill themselves and dive deeper in the topic. It ensures that any face-to-face / digital workshop time is effectively used for active facilitation & collaborative activities, that clarify concepts and contextualize knowledge through application, analysis, planning and problem solving. These courses will help leaders and teams to reflect on and find real solutions to business needs offering a risk-free high impact engagement. These courses are educationally sound, academically researched, and business orientated.
COURSE PROGRESSION ECOSYSTEM INCLUDES https://courses.tirian.com/
- Pre-Course and Essentials pack: introduction, pre-reading, videos to introduce the topic, and pre-reflection about how the session could be applied to people in a work context (Faces & Places) + the digital notebook.
- The Core Content: this is the actual interactive workshop / webinar / facilitated online experience delivered by a professional facilitator.
- A Learning Journey: A 7 week self-paced online summary and extended learning course, to ensure applications & goal setting. Review, Refresh, Reflect & React.
- Extended options include: Certification of completion can be awarded for participation, with the option of extended business facilitation, coaching, assignments and accreditation)
- ON THIN ICE
- The Reality of Virtual teams. Deep Dive exploration
- Workshop OR Virtual interactive Online (Zoom +)
- Interactive Workshop with gamification experiential learning tasks that lead to facilitated group discussion, reflection and action planning.
- REC SIZE:
- REC TIME:
1-3 X 2 hours
Session 1) Introduction to Virtual Teams (includes: ‘Winter Over Mystery Game’)
Session 2) Simulation and debrief of a VT (includes: ‘Virtual Navigation Game’)
Session 3) Deep Dive Implications & Applications
- BLENDED LEARNING OPTIONS:
- Pre learning reflection and post follow-up learning journeys (7 weeks / PDFs), Surveys, Polls, YouTube videos are all available.
- Program Workshop: On Thin ICE
- Article: LinkedIn: The Reality of Virtual Teams
- Article: Why we cant just recreate our physical office remotely?
- Article: Dealing with virtual teams across borders: How does your team measure up?
- Article: Virtual Team Survival
- Article: Virtual Team Strategies For Success
Video: The Reality Of Virtual Teams Promo
From the ON THIN ICE leadership and team suite comes a digital version (interactive gamified webinar) that specifically looks at how high performing teams can work remotely as effective distributed teams.
Watch on Youtube >
Video: Fireside Chat with Andrew Grant and Gaia Grant: The Reality of Virtual Teams
COVID-19 has led to a rapid shift of companies moving to working from home (WFH). More and more organisations are also planning to continue the arrangement even after the pandemic.
Watch on Youtube >
This is another original and unique program exclusively designed and presented by Tirian.
Interactive Zoom-based webinars & workshops, coaching, facilitating remote workshops, Biz facilitation with gamification / experiential learning
Creative & Critical Thinking for dealing with wicked problems.
Why now? Leaders will need to learn to tackle wicked undefined challenges, where both the problem and solution are unknown and are morphing daily. To overcome this requires the use of a tested design-thinking style process.
Future-Ready Leadership for greater agility and sustainable innovation and growth
Why now? Leaders will need to effectively deal with the competing demands a crisis bring. This involves managing the tension between those who recognise the need to explore new options and innovate, and those who want to preserve the current status quo. This added tension can either rip a team or company apart – or if led well – can fuel sustainable innovative growth.
The Reality of Virtual teams: Dealing with virtual and remote team challenges (with gamification)
Why now? Leaders and teams need to understand the unique dynamics of virtual teams. They will need to be able to adapt to effective remote communication, and not just think they can simply recreate the physical office online. A well led virtual team can outperform most office-based teams, but only where the communication is maximised.
The Collaboration Deception: Workshop with a gamification social experiment.
Why now? Collaboration under crisis and competition can be a significant challenge. We are learning from world leaders what happens when true collaboration is utilised to solve difficult problems – and the consequences from when it is not. So how does a leader promote collaboration in a complex competitive environment?
The Creative Appliance Project: Reinventing the future to build confidence and capability. (Revisiting the Mission Vision Values Brand)
Why now? Companies need to reinvent themselves as the world constantly changes. In doing so they will need to be clearer than ever about the core values that should never change, and what will need to change to adapt around that. This can allow an organisation to remain true to their core purpose while redefining their unique offering.
Your knowledge, professionalism, and willingness to work with us were key to the success of these digital virtual seminars. I learned a lot from you, and really enjoyed working with you.
Global Strategic Initiatives