The Reality of Virtual Teams
Facilitated Online Experiences
Corporate Virtual Teams have become the norm. Yet the skills required to lead a remote / distributed team are not the same as those required for leading face to face. The leader must take on the additional role of managing unique virtual team challenges complexities. Developing mutual goals and implementing these independently is hard work, so early wins are paramount. “Recreating the Office Online” is not a sustainable solution for effective teams, and a full functioning virtual team needs to transition to a point where the new distributed team works better than any in-person team ever could.
Research on Antarctic teams in Isolated and Confined Environments (I.C.E.) provides a wealth of information about the challenges of achieving success in these contexts. In this program we draw on decades of research from I.C.E. teams and apply it to contemporary virtual teams using an authentic Antarctic theme. This provides a memorable and engaging experience with clear actionable outcomes. This session includes 2 interactive gamified simulations to recreate the dynamics of a virtual team and then use this experience to debrief ins a safe environment and facilitate action planning outcomes. see video.
This online interactive Zoom session recreates the issues of virtual teams in a safe space, and then provides for a facilitator to walk the team through the issues that emerge. The session provides a targeted discussion focused on designing more effective team strategies. It provides experiential learning online games, and covers key areas from issues as simple as improving on conference calls, through to deep dive mapping sociographs for more effective communication, and provides practical solutions such as creating a customised code of conduct and ensuring everyone is involved in the process.
This session will address and provide solutions for 3 main areas ALIGNMENT, COMMUNICATION, RELATIONSHIPS
- How to improve team dynamics in a virtual team environment
- How to redesign what was ‘the Office' to become an effective online version that takes advantage of the new medium
- How to effectively communicate, and with what media to use
- How to recognise and manage the tension of a virtual team, so as to learn how to prioritise what's important (and how to choose)
- How to build relationships in a virtual team, & a code of conduct
- Discover what new skills leaders will need to develop to lead these distributed Teams effectively
- ON THIN ICE
- The Reality of Virtual teams. Deep Dive exploration
- Workshop OR Virtual interactive Online (Zoom +)
- Interactive Workshop with gamification experiential learning tasks that lead to facilitated group discussion, reflection and action planning.
- REC SIZE:
- REC TIME:
1-3 X 2 hours
Session 1) Introduction to Virtual Teams (includes: ‘Winter Over Mystery Game’)
Session 2) Simulation and debrief of a VT (includes: ‘Virtual Navigation Game’)
Session 3) Deep Dive Implications & Applications
- BLENDED LEARNING OPTIONS:
- Pre learning reflection and post follow-up learning journeys (7 weeks / PDFs), Surveys, Polls, YouTube videos are all available.
- Program Workshop: On Thin ICE
- Article: LinkedIn: The Reality of Virtual Teams
- Article: Why we cant just recreate our physical office remotely?
- Article: Dealing with virtual teams across borders: How does your team measure up?
- Article: Virtual Team Survival
- Article: Virtual Team Strategies For Success
The research conducted on virtual teams over the last 20+ years shows that :
- 50% of virtual I.C.E. teams fail to meet their objectives
- There is little or no loyalty to the team and is limited trust between team members
- Well managed virtual teams can access precious skills and expertise and are more flexible (in terms of resourcing and support.)
- Whilst leaders think digital methods will assist, digital communication too often helps to create & accentuate these above problems.
This is another original and unique program exclusively designed and presented by Tirian.
Interactive Zoom-based webinars & workshops, coaching, Biz facilitation with gamification / experiential learning
Creative & Critical Thinking for dealing with wicked problems.
Why now? Leaders will need to learn to tackle wicked undefined challenges, where both the problem and solution are unknown and are morphing daily. To overcome this requires the use of a tested design-thinking style process.
Future-Ready Leadership for greater agility and sustainable innovation and growth
Why now? Leaders will need to effectively deal with the competing demands a crisis bring. This involves managing the tension between those who recognise the need to explore new options and innovate, and those who want to preserve the current status quo. This added tension can either rip a team or company apart – or if led well– can fuel sustainable innovative growth.
The Reality of Virtual teams: Dealing with virtual and remote team challenges (with gamification)
Why now? Leaders and teams need to understand the unique dynamics of virtual teams. They will need to be able to adapt to effective remote communication, and not just think they can simply recreate the physical office online. A well led virtual team can outperform most office-based teams, but only where the communication is maximised.
The Collaboration Deception: Workshop with a gamification social experiment.
Why now? Collaboration under crisis and competition can be a significant challenge. We are learning from world leaders what happens when true collaboration is utilised to solve difficult problems – and the consequences from when it is not. So how does a leader promote collaboration in a complex competitive environment?
The Creative Appliance Project: Reinventing the future to build confidence and capability. (Revisiting the Mission Vision Values Brand)
Why now? Companies need to reinvent themselves as the world constantly changes. In doing so they will need to be clearer than ever about the core values that should never change, and what will need to change to adapt around that. This can allow an organisation to remain true to their core purpose while redefining their unique offering.